Friday, May 6, 2011

may all your dreams come true...

i was watching oprah and tom hanks was giving his farewell tribute when he said something about how oprah changed things for women so that all their dreams can come true. i think that is a pretty accurate statement, but it got me to thinking about my dreams.
i know you might gather from all the whining and complaining i do here that i am a big whiny crybaby that complains all the time. i am not. really.
now that i have given that disclaimer, i am going to whine and complain.
despite the fact that i have been a loyal watcher of oprah for almost the entire time she has been on the air, my dreams have not come true.
my dreams were simple. some got my dreams by accident-not the least bit of effort at all, while i worked my ass off and got nothing.
did i pick the wrong dream? was it just not for me? i dont know. i picked other dreams, but those didnt go to well either. i really am not bitter, just confused. as usual, oprah got me to thinking. thinking about dreams.

1 comment:

  1. The unfortunate part about Oprah is that she generally asks you to look outside yourself for your goals (doing). Some of the greatest goals we can have are inside of ourselves (being). When goals are about ourselves, the best goals, of necessity, need to be informed by God. Many people including self-help experts, counselors, and coaches tend to ignore this part of the equation. In the Lectures on Faith, Joseph Smith talks about this a little bit. In Lecture Third it states:

    "2. Let us here observe, that three things are necessary in order that any rational and intelligent being may exercise faith in God unto life and salvation.

    3. First, the idea that he [God] actually exists.

    4. Secondly, a correct idea of his [God's] character, perfections, and attributes.

    5. Thirdly, an actual knowledge that the course of life which he is pursuing is according to his [God's] will. For without an acquaintance with these three important facts, the faith of every rational being must be imperfect and unproductive; but with this understanding it can become perfect and fruitful, abounding in righteousness, unto the praise and glory of God the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ."

    So how do we gain the knowledge that the course of life we are pursuing is according to God's will? We ask Him. We are humble and teachable to ask if we are doing the right thing and if there is something else He wants us to be doing.

    Another thing I like about this quote is that it asks us to understand the correct idea of God's characteristics, attributes and perfections. Sometimes I think that we can have an unbalanced idea of who He is, either thinking He is all Love and forgiveness or that He is only one to fear and tremble, without anything in the middle. I believe that He is both, He is all powerful and a "jealous" God as well as full of compassion and grace. I also believe that as we come to understand Him better, we understand ourselves better.

    This topic has been something I've researched and prayed about for years. :) I think most singles over 28 have had at least some time questioning their path or God's plan for them. I find that when I am in the course of life that is God's will for me, I find peace in my life the most. I don't understand everything nor is everything perfect or easy, but I am peaceful. I hope this is helpful.

    ReplyDelete